Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Zanziblog

Its that time again. I have recently returned from an amazing retreat to the island of Zanzibar. I know what you are thinking. That's not a real place. Believe me, it exists. And everyone knows that you can't get there by a car, cause its too far to Zanzibar.That's pretty much true. We tried. After a sixteen hour bus ride to the coast, we were forced to stop in Dar Es Salaam. From there you have to ride the ferry another two hours to the island. This trip was scheduled for reasons both educational and relaxational. Zanzibar has a very interesting history involving the slave trade. In fact the hostel in which we stayed was directly on top of one of the last dungeons to hold slaves before going to market in Africa. Like I said interesting history. But on top of that it was simply a beautiful place. I have never been to a place in which I felt safer walking down dark alleys at night. You see Zanzibar has not been connected to a power grid for over a month. The only places who had electricity were the ones who could afford generators. So at night the streets were dark, but as I said before, not scary. I'm not sure exactly what it was, just a sense of peacefulness maybe. The beaches were also quite nice. Clear water and soft sand. One day I was even able to take a boat out aways and swim with wild dolphins. That's not something I will ever forget. God has created some pretty magnificent things. Sometimes you just have to get away from all that man has created to see the infinitely detailed simplicity of this world that God has provided. I will try to upload pics soon. Let me know what you want to hear about on this blog.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic place to visit. I'm wondering, what's it SOUND like there? I would imagine there would be less man-made noise. Is that so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing your reflections JO! Now the trick is finding those moments back home...maybe a walk on the farm or a hike in Brown County?

    ReplyDelete