Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Meru

Hello out there, I am officially two weeks old Kenyan. We got our passports validated today, so I am an official resident! This past weekend was really incredible. On Friday we took a road trip up to Meru. It was about a five hour drive. It was exciting because we drove over the equator. We went to Meru to participate in a youth rally with the Meru Town Church. We had so much fun. I played a lot of volleyball and candando(soccer). In Kenyan churches youth is considered from ages 18 to 35. In Meru we stayed with a woman by the name of Brenda Harcourt. She is American from Synod of Lincoln Trails. It turns out that she had been to Synod School and Triennieum during years that I was there. She was the moderator of Blackhawk Presbytery at one point. Brenda was an amazing host and I look forward to seeing her again. We took part in a church service in Meru. It was very interesting. I gave the prayer after the offering. We Americans also sang Tawa Pano and They will know we are Christians by our Love. During the offering people who could not afford to give cash donated items such as food. Then these items were auctioned off during the service with the money going into the offering. It was very interesting. People would bid to win fruits and veggies for other people. Someone won some tomatoes for me. I have been eating very well. Until next time.
Kwaheri,
Josh

2 comments:

  1. Hi Josh! Your blog is so fun to read! It's exciting to "travel" with you! I'm printing it out for the folks at church to see, and also Tyler's blog. Blessings to you! patty shuler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josh! I'm glad Kenya is treating you well thus far :) We all miss you at home, but it sounds like you've managed to find even a Synod schooler over there, so congrats on always being in good company. Hope to see more updates! I am trying to get Skype to stay online 24/7 but my computer hasn't been cooperating...I just learned of your blog from Dustin, so I will at least know where to go to check on you! Hope to hear from you soon! - Amanda

    ReplyDelete